According to Utah law, a person must be a Sales Agent or Broker licensee to negotiate or consummate the sale, lease, exchange or purchase of real estate in exchange for valuable consideration.

A Sales Agent or Broker license is also required if a person does property management, which includes advertising property for rent or lease, prospecting for lessees or tenants, lease negotiations or rental negotiations, brokering rental agreements or leases in exchange for compensation.

There are a few exceptions. These people do not need a real estate license:
  • Owners who manage their own property
  • Employees that manage property for their employer
  • Apartment managers who reside in the apartments at reduced rent
  • Full-time salaried employees of a Homeowners Association
  • Hotel or motel management
  • Management activities associated with rental accommodations for any period of less than 30 consecutive days